KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. – A walking history of the C flume near Henley will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, by the Klamath County Museum and U.S. Bureau of Reclamation.
The walk will begin at the Klamath Irrigation District headquarters, 6640 KID Lane, off of Short Road.
“People may want a chance to see this grand old structure up close before it is entirely demolished in the coming weeks,” said Laura Williams, public affairs specialist for the Bureau of Reclamation’s Klamath Basin Area Office.
Saturday’s tour will be led by Kenneth Doutt, outreach coordinator for the Klamath County Museum. The tour may involve driving to more than one location, and walking over steep or uneven ground.
The flume carried water for 95 years across a section of low ground to serve farmland in the area south of Henley. First used in 1922, the concrete flume replaced an earlier structure made of timbers. It is being replaced by a siphon tube made of vinyl and steel.
Sections of the concrete flume were manufactured and assembled on site, using a traveling apparatus to pour concrete into forms on the ground. Sand for the concrete mix came from Marysville, Calif., while two sizes of gravel came from a local rock quarry.
Water pouring from leaks in the old wooden flume forced crews to maintain a certain distance as they poured concrete for the new flume.
For more information about Saturday’s walk, contact the Klamath County Museum, 1451 Main St. in Klamath Falls, at (541) 882-1000.