Klamath Heritage: Klamath's first McDonald's, and first mall.

Klamath Heritage: Klamath's first McDonald's, and first mall.

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for March 24, 2019, is an image published in the Nov. 28, 1971, Herald and News reporting on the opening of the first McDonald’s restaurant in Klamath Falls.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Waiting for a train [VIDEO]

Klamath Heritage: Waiting for a train [VIDEO]

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for March 17, 2019, shows passengers waiting for a train at the Southern Pacific passenger depot in Klamath Falls. No date was recorded for this photo. The automobiles seen here suggest a date around 1920.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Steamboats on Upper Klamath Lake

Klamath Heritage: Steamboats on Upper Klamath Lake

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for March 10, 2019, shows a group of steamboats at the docks at Shippington.

All three of the steamboats seen here were built in Klamath Falls. Seen at the dock at left is the Eagle, constructed in 1908. Docked at right is the Modoc, which measured 60 feet in length. Its boiler was originally fired by wood, but was later converted to burn oil. The Wasp, seen paddling by the other two boats, was built in 1914. It was slightly smaller, at 50 feet in length.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Lairds Landing, A Vital Link for a Few Years

Klamath Heritage: Lairds Landing, A Vital Link for a Few Years

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Feb. 10, 2019, shows the dock at Laird’s Landing, a point at the south end of Lower Klamath Lake where many passengers and freight shipments transferred between 1905 and 1908.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Pelican Bay Lumber Company

Klamath Heritage: Pelican Bay Lumber Company

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Feb. 3, 2019, shows the Pelican Bay Lumber Co. complex north of Klamath Falls. Most of the ground seen in the center of this photo is occupied today by Jeld-Wen. This view looks south toward the Pelican City area, with Moore Mountain in the background.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Lumber Like you Don't See Any More

Klamath Heritage: Lumber Like you Don't See Any More

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for January 27, 2019, shows a mill worker beside a stack of planks at Pelican Bay Lumber Co. in Klamath Falls. No date was recorded for this photo.

Pelican Bay was the leading lumber company in Klamath Falls for several years, starting from when it began operations in 1911. The company had the first planing mill in the county. The company’s sawmill was destroyed by fire in June 1914, and again in September 1919. The company had a payroll of more than 500 when the second fire struck. The company’s third lumber plant, which began operations in April 1920, was the county’s first entirely electrified sawmill.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: View of Klamath Falls c. 1908

Klamath Heritage: View of Klamath Falls c. 1908

Klamath County Museum’s first Photo of the Week for 2019 shows the view that most travelers would have seen as they arrived by stagecoach or wagon at Klamath Falls in the late 1800s and early 1900s, as they crested over the hill south of town on the Keno Road (now Riverside Drive). Most freight wagons making deliveries to Klamath Falls came by the same route, up Topsy Grade in the Klamath River canyon and through Keno.

Read More

Museum Receives Donation of '28 Buick

Museum Receives Donation of '28 Buick

The Klamath County Museum has received the donation of a 1928 Buick automobile from Alan and Carol Eberlein of Klamath Falls.

The fully restored and operable vehicle becomes the fifth antique auto owned by the museum.

“This beautiful car has a long history in Klamath Falls, and we’re looking forward to displaying it for many years to come,” said museum manager Todd Kepple. “We’re very grateful to the Eberleins to entrusting its care to us.”

Read More

Museum Receives Donation of Model T

Museum Receives Donation of Model T

The Klamath County Museum has received the donation of a 1915 Ford Model T automobile from John Wilcynski of Susanville, Calif. The fully restored and operable vehicle becomes the fourth antique auto owned by the museum.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Skating on Upper Klamath Lake

Klamath Heritage: Skating on Upper Klamath Lake

Locals were encouraged to take advantage of numerous alternative skating locations, including private ponds around the community and even the A Canal. In 1940 the city acquired land on the south shore of Upper Klamath Lake and created a lagoon that doubled as a boat harbor in summer and an ice rink in winter. Then in 1948 the city leveled a parcel of ground at Moore Park on the south side of Lakeshore Drive for an ice rink.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Ninth and Main c. 1960

Klamath Heritage: Ninth and Main c. 1960

Currin’s for Drugs at the corner of Ninth and Main streets is seen in the Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Dec. 16, 2018. The drug store opened May 27, 1922 in the corner space of the new Central Hotel building, and remained at the same address until about 1970, when it moved a few doors down Main.

Read More

Registration Open for 12th Annual History Fitness Hike [UPDATED]

Registration Open for 12th Annual History Fitness Hike [UPDATED]

The Klamath County Museum’s 12th annual History Fitness hike has been rescheduled for Saturday, Dec. 8. Registration deadline for the event is Thursday, Dec. 6.  The hike was postponed from the past weekend due to weather. The event is designed to encourage outdoor exercise while exploring local history. The hike is free, but a donation is requested to defray expenses.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Klamath Falls Gospel Mission

Klamath Heritage: Klamath Falls Gospel Mission

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Nov. 11, 2018, shows the Klamath Falls Gospel Mission at 823 Walnut Street in about 1965. A sign on the building reads, “If you haven’t a friend in this world you will find one here.”

Read More

History Tour Offered in North Ridge Estates

History Tour Offered in North Ridge Estates

A walking history tour of the North Ridge Estates subdivision will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 10, by the Klamath County Museum.

The event is free and open to anyone interested. In the event of inclement weather, the tour will be postponed.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: Weyerhaeuser Mill

Klamath Heritage: Weyerhaeuser Mill

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Nov. 4, 2018, shows the Weyerhaeuser Company mill near Klamath Falls not long after it opened in 1929. With four headrigs (large saws for cutting old-growth timber), the plant was described as the largest yellow pine sawmill in the western United States.

Read More

Traditional Klamath, Modoc Songs Subject of Program

Traditional Klamath, Modoc Songs Subject of Program

A program on traditional Klamath and Modoc songs will be presented at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 1, at the Klamath County Museum.

Museum Curator Niles Reynolds will examine samples of Native American music obtained by anthropologists at various points in time. The program is the third in a series of Klamath anthropological presentations by Reynolds at the museum.

Read More

Klamath Heritage: 800 Block Main Street, 1965

Klamath Heritage: 800 Block Main Street, 1965

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Oct. 28, 2018, shows the 800 block of Main Street in this photo taken in August 1965. 

Herman’s Men’s Wear and PayLess Drugs were fixtures in the 800 block of Main Street for many years. Sandwiched between the two was Karl’s Shoes. Found in the next block down Main was U.S. Bank, the Pelican Restaurant, Western Union, the Gun Store and the Tog Shop.

Read More