Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for January 13, 2019, shows a steam-powered tractor making its way along Spring Street near the Southern Pacific train station in Klamath Falls.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s first Photo of the Week for 2019 shows the view that most travelers would have seen as they arrived by stagecoach or wagon at Klamath Falls in the late 1800s and early 1900s, as they crested over the hill south of town on the Keno Road (now Riverside Drive). Most freight wagons making deliveries to Klamath Falls came by the same route, up Topsy Grade in the Klamath River canyon and through Keno.Read More
Locals were encouraged to take advantage of numerous alternative skating locations, including private ponds around the community and even the A Canal. In 1940 the city acquired land on the south shore of Upper Klamath Lake and created a lagoon that doubled as a boat harbor in summer and an ice rink in winter. Then in 1948 the city leveled a parcel of ground at Moore Park on the south side of Lakeshore Drive for an ice rink.Read More
Currin’s for Drugs at the corner of Ninth and Main streets is seen in the Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Dec. 16, 2018. The drug store opened May 27, 1922 in the corner space of the new Central Hotel building, and remained at the same address until about 1970, when it moved a few doors down Main.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Nov. 11, 2018, shows the Klamath Falls Gospel Mission at 823 Walnut Street in about 1965. A sign on the building reads, “If you haven’t a friend in this world you will find one here.”Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Nov. 4, 2018, shows the Weyerhaeuser Company mill near Klamath Falls not long after it opened in 1929. With four headrigs (large saws for cutting old-growth timber), the plant was described as the largest yellow pine sawmill in the western United States.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Oct. 28, 2018, shows the 800 block of Main Street in this photo taken in August 1965.
Herman’s Men’s Wear and PayLess Drugs were fixtures in the 800 block of Main Street for many years. Sandwiched between the two was Karl’s Shoes. Found in the next block down Main was U.S. Bank, the Pelican Restaurant, Western Union, the Gun Store and the Tog Shop.Read More
This photo is relatively easy to date because of three large brick or stone masonry buildings that were erected that year. The Baldwin Hotel (originally a retail/office building) stood four stories above Main Street, making it the tallest commercial building in Southern Oregon at that time. Only the top two floors can be seen in this image. The Lakeside Inn blocks a view of the lower two floors of the Baldwin.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Oct. 7, 2018, shows the Mode O’Day dress shop, a lesser but long-lived fixture on Main Street from 1935 until 1984.
Mode O’Day opened at 602 Main Street in Klamath Falls in December 1935. In the midst of the Depression, dresses ranged in price from $1 to $3 each. Shortly after opening the store moved to a new location at 835 Main, tucked in between the J.J. Newberry department store and Waggoner Drug Store. The store remained in this location until it closed. Zach’s Bikes was one of the more recent occupants of this space.Read More
Several large railroad trestles once stood at various locations around Klamath County. Our Photo of the Week for Sept. 30, 2018, shows the trestle that spanned Spencer Creek on Weyerhaeuser Company’s “west side” mainline railroad, also known as the 100 line.Read More