As allowed by the Klamath County Air Quality Ordinance 406.150 (2)(a), the 2017 Fall Open Burn Window within the Klamath County Air Quality Zone will start 8 a.m. Saturday, October 21, 2017, and will end 5 p.m. Sunday, November 5, 2017.
The conditions for the Fall 2017 Open Burning Window are:
- The Air Quality Advisory must be “GREEN”. Find out the daily advisory by calling 541-882-BURN (2876), or check online at www.klamathair.org and on Facebook at Klamath Basin Air Quality. The Advisory will be updated each day by 8:30 a.m.
- Only residential yard waste, such as tree limbs, brush, and leaves may be burned.
- All burning must occur between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. and be fully extinguished by 5 p.m.
- No plastic, rubber, tar, petroleum products, treated or painted wood may be burned.
- The use of a Burn Barrel is prohibited.
- The burning of commercial, construction, demolition or industrial waste is not included in this burn window. A special permit from the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is required; contact Bonnie Hough at the DEQ office in Bend at (541) 633-2016 for more information.
- Agricultural burning inside the Air Quality Zone is prohibited without a certificate of variance.
Fire District requirements for public safety are:
- The wind must be between 4 to 10 mph. For wind speed call 541-883-8127.
- There must be a pressurized water hose at the fire site at all times.
- A responsible adult must be present at the fire from the first flame until the fire is extinguished.
- The burn pile shall be no larger than six feet in diameter and four feet high.
- There must be a six-foot clear area surrounding the base of the pile and the pile must be at least 20 feet from combustible fences and buildings.
- The person conducting any burning is responsible for damage and the cost of an out-of-control burn as well as traffic problems and other hazards caused by the smoke.
The Open Burn Window may be cancelled at any time due to Air Quality or Fire Hazard conditions. Check with your local Fire District or the City of Klamath Falls (inside the city limits) for additional restrictions.