Malin has been awarded a grant totaling $48,000 to develop a veterans memorial park from the Heritage and Community Programs of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department.
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department awarded five grants totaling $150,000 for projects across the state that create or preserve memorials to veterans or wars. Awards range from range from $8,850-$48,000.
Funded projects include:
- Documentation and replacement of the terra cotta tile roof of the WWI Dougboy Monument in Astoria. [$17,190]
- Addition of a memorial wall recognizing veterans from and living Bandon to the existing Coast Guard monument in Bandon. [$37,550]
- Construction of a memorial to commemorate the service of veterans in Warm Springs. [$8,850]
- Development of a veterans memorial in Malin. [$48,000]
- Construction of a memorial to local veterans from WWI to present in Veneta. [$38,416]
This competitive grant program was created by the Oregon legislature in 2005. Applicants must be local or tribal governments and the memorial must be on public land.