Feeding black bears was a popular activity at Crater Lake National Park – and numerous other parks around the country – in the early 1900s. Our Photo of the Week for May 19, 2019, is an undated image showing a man feeding four bears at Crater Lake. The photo appears to have been taken in the 1920s.Read More
Plants found in the Trinity Alps region of Northern California will be discussed in a presentation during a meeting next week of the Klamath Basin Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Oregon.Read More
KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. – A tour of native plant gardens at the Klamath County Museum will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 27. The free event is cosponsored by the museum and the Klamath Basin Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Oregon in recognition of Native Plant Appreciation Week, which runs through Saturday.Read More
Who remembers what stood on the west bank of the Link River before the Favell Museum was constructed in Klamath Falls? The Klamath County Museum Photo of the Week for April 14, 2019, reveals the answer.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for March 31, 2019, shows a crew of workmen using horse-drawn scrapers to level a roadbed. Before the advent of machinery powered by engines, scrapers such as these were used for leveling ground in various types of construction projects. Most of the A Canal in Klamath Falls was built the same way.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for March 24, 2019, is an image published in the Nov. 28, 1971, Herald and News reporting on the opening of the first McDonald’s restaurant in Klamath Falls.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for March 17, 2019, shows passengers waiting for a train at the Southern Pacific passenger depot in Klamath Falls. No date was recorded for this photo. The automobiles seen here suggest a date around 1920.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for March 10, 2019, shows a group of steamboats at the docks at Shippington.
All three of the steamboats seen here were built in Klamath Falls. Seen at the dock at left is the Eagle, constructed in 1908. Docked at right is the Modoc, which measured 60 feet in length. Its boiler was originally fired by wood, but was later converted to burn oil. The Wasp, seen paddling by the other two boats, was built in 1914. It was slightly smaller, at 50 feet in length.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Feb. 17, 2019, is a winter scene showing a herd of “black baldy” cattle being driven down a road in Langell Valley, perhaps on their way to a different pasture for calving, or closer to a stack of hay.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Feb. 10, 2019, shows the dock at Laird’s Landing, a point at the south end of Lower Klamath Lake where many passengers and freight shipments transferred between 1905 and 1908.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Feb. 3, 2019, shows the Pelican Bay Lumber Co. complex north of Klamath Falls. Most of the ground seen in the center of this photo is occupied today by Jeld-Wen. This view looks south toward the Pelican City area, with Moore Mountain in the background.Read More
Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for January 27, 2019, shows a mill worker beside a stack of planks at Pelican Bay Lumber Co. in Klamath Falls. No date was recorded for this photo.
Pelican Bay was the leading lumber company in Klamath Falls for several years, starting from when it began operations in 1911. The company had the first planing mill in the county. The company’s sawmill was destroyed by fire in June 1914, and again in September 1919. The company had a payroll of more than 500 when the second fire struck. The company’s third lumber plant, which began operations in April 1920, was the county’s first entirely electrified sawmill.Read More
An art exhibit titled “Variety in Art” is on display through the end of February in the Klamath County Museum’s Modoc Gallery. Paintings by a group of local adult art students are featured in the exhibition. An opening reception for the exhibit will run from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, in the museum at 1451 Main St.Read More